During the 2017-18 session Peebles High School is working towards achieving Bronze LGBT Charter Status. The aim of this process is to make Peebles High School a more inclusive and welcoming environment for all pupils and staff.
See LGBT Youth
A student-run, student-led group dedicated to educating students at Peebles High School, raising awareness of LGBT issues, and providing a space for LGBT individuals to express themselves in a safe and supported way. We do a range of things, from lessons to third-year students, to participating in lively debates, to hosting guest speakers. We have a team of Advocates who are dedicated to delivering lessons and raising the profile of LGBT issues within the school, and are always working to make Peebles High School a place that is friendly to the LGBT community. We meet every second Monday in M30 at lunch time.
WHAT HAS THIS INVOLVED?
- All staff have received LGBT training from LGBT Youth Scotland.
- A gender and sexuality alliance group has been created (SAGA).
- Staff and pupil LGBT Champions have been identified to lead this project.
- SAGA are planning Q&A sessions with the parent council and with staff.
- SAGA group members have delivered LGBT specific lessons to S3 pupils.
- Pupils and Staff have completed surveys to evaluate how LGBT friendly Peebles High School is.
- Events are planned to coincide with various LGBT days of importance – e.g. Intersex Awareness Day and International Day